Sunday, May 1, 2011

That's What (S)he said: Weekly Round-Up

I'll be doing weekly posts about some of my favorite things I saw around the blogosphere during the week. Many will be writing-related, while some will be about other fun or interesting stuff I found.

Usually I'll put these up on Fridays, but I've been out of town since Thursday with limited Internet access. It was horrifying.

So here's the list of last week's awesomeness:

Do you know about Spaghetti Agents? Maybe you have one. Maybe you've queried one. Read Nathan Bransford's post to find out what to look for.

You've published a novel, now what? Here's a great article by Tayari Jones, "Five Things I Wish I Had Known When I Published My First Book."

When my daughter took the SAT, she said the hardest part was having to write the no-cheatin' oath in cursive before the test started. There was a collective gasp in the room when the students got that instruction. They learned cursive in third grade, but they hadn't been using it much. Some schools now aren't teaching it at all. Some people get really emotional about this, but it doesn't bother me, really-- we're just adjusting with technology that's available now. I'm sure there were people who lamented the loss of quills as writing utensils. A bigger problem might be that people aren't going to be able to read cursive. Maybe handwriting analysts will have trouble finding work in the future, but imagine the possibilities for those who can read cursive for those who look at it like a foreign language. The New York Times had a fascinating article about the disappearance of cursive this week in "The Case For Cursive."

Feel like you suck? It happens to the best. Here's Libba Bray's post about self-doubt, including a hilarious I Suck Playlist.

And because baby animals make everything better, I'll leave you with these baby marmosets from The Daily Squee.

See some fabulous blog posts this week? Please share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment